About Me

My photo
I'm a girl that lives to eat, rather than eats to live. However, it's taken me a while to start doing the cooking rather than just the eating. This blog is a way of documenting my attempts at satisfying my hungry girl appetite, while sharing the journey with my friends and family.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's All Greek To Me

Greek Yogurt is the new miracle food that is sweeping the nation. With twice the amount of protein and far less the amount of carbohydrates, sodium, fat and sugar than other yogurts on the market, choosing Greek is a no-brainer. So imagine my disappointment when I ran to the store and stocked my fridge with the stuff, only to take my first bite and nearly puke from the sour taste and odd consistency! Coming from a girl whose mom has dubbed the human garbage disposable due to her ability to eat anything and everything, this statement carries a lot of weight. However, the endless list of health benefits were far too lucrative for me to give up on the yogurt so quickly. With the help of online resources, advice from friends and some experimenting of my own, I compiled a list of recipes to mask the sour taste and take advantage of the creamy texture. Here are a few of my favorites...

SUPER Easy Eggs:
1 whole egg, 1 egg white
1 1/2 tbls plain non-fat Greek Yogurt (I use Fage)
1/3 cup cheddar cheese
pinch of salt and pinch of pepper
Extras:
green and white onions, mushrooms, tomatoes...etc. 

Directions:
Mix the eggs, Greek Yogurt and Cheddar Cheese in a bowl then add to medium pan and cook up some eggs. (If you don't know how to scramble eggs, then we have a lot of work to do)

Banana Berry Smoothie: 
1 Banana (preferably frozen)
1 cup blueberries (preferably frozen)
1/2 cup strawberries (preferably frozen)
1 package of Greek Yogurt
Extras: you can change out any fruits you like and add honey if you want it to be a little sweeter!

Directions:
Add all ingredients and blend until smooth.

Brownies! (in a health blog? YES!)
5 oz Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tbls vanilla extract
2 eggs
3/4 cup flower
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips 


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat medium size pan with cooking spray. Mix the wet and dry ingredients SEPARATELY. Then add the dry mix to the wet mixture and add the chocolate chips as the final touch. Place in the over for 25-30 minutes. 



1 comment:

  1. I've passed this on to my wife - she's excited to try these recipes.

    ReplyDelete