About Me

My photo
I'm a girl that lives to eat, rather than eats to live. However, it's taken me a while to start doing the cooking rather than just the eating. This blog is a way of documenting my attempts at satisfying my hungry girl appetite, while sharing the journey with my friends and family.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Top 5 Reasons You Should Eat Chocolate This Valentine's Day





1. Live Longer
2. Bye Bye Stress
3. For Your Heart
4. Stops Sore Muslces
5. Anti-depressant



1. Live Longer: Chocolate has eight times the amount of antioxidants found in strawberries! Antioxidants are so important for one's longevity since they protect the body from free radicals. These free radicals damage the bodies cells and organs and are the cause of aging and diseases like Cancer. 

2. Bye Bye Stress: A study done at The Nestle Research Center in Switzerland showed that participants who rated them self as having high anxiety showed a decrease in stress levels after eating 1.4 ounces of chocolate every day. However, those who were given greater amounts than 1.4 ounces showed an increase in stress levels due to the fact that they were gaining weight. Like most things in life; moderation is key. 

3. For Your Heart: Studies have shown that eating small amounts of dark chocolate every day will reduce your cholesterol and blood pressure. This is because Chocolate, like many fruits and vegetables, comes from a plant and is full of Flavanoids. Flavanoids are a type of antioxidant that reduce the risk of heart attack by preventing blood from clotting in the heart. 

4. Stops Sore Muscles: Polyphenols, another type of antioxidant that is associated with Flavanoids, is found in chocolate and helps reduce the amount of severity of sore muscles in those who suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome. So if you find yourself craving chocolate after a workout, don't feel guilty when taking a bite!

5. Anti-depressant: Ever devour a box of chocolates after a bad test grade or rough break up? Well turns out that chocolate increases serotonin levels in the brain which combats depression and causes feelings of happiness. It also acts as an endorphin which is the chemical associated with feeling pleasure. 

**Disclaimer:  Chocolate may be a delicious addition to your healthy diet but limiting the amount of calories is essential. You only need a small piece of dark chocolate to see the benefits that dark chocolate has to offer. 

9 comments:

  1. I choose to ignore the disclaimer. The box of chocolates my wife bought me for Valentine's Day doesn't stand a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post! and i love chocolate. good thing that's a good thing, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder I've been craving chocolate: bad week at work. Thanks for revealing my inner stress. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at the picture. I love chocolate, and I love anything that confirms that chocolate is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running out of chocolate?! Forget oil, this is a global emergency!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I am sure that a ton of people will take this post and run away with it. I had no idea that chocolate had such great affects on people. I knew that exercise could increase serotonin levels, but I had no idea about chocolate. Interesting blog

    David

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is no such thing as bad chocolate! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. ^ Clare, I actually don't like chocolate. I swear everyone gives me this look on their face when I say that. Nonetheless, I might be persuaded to eat some now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the best news I've ever heard! I love chocolate! Too bad I like milk chocolate better than dark...

    ReplyDelete