About Me

My photo
I'm a girl that lives to eat, rather than eats to live. However, it's taken me a while to start doing the cooking rather than just the eating. This blog is a way of documenting my attempts at satisfying my hungry girl appetite, while sharing the journey with my friends and family.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Twofer

Among the thousands of uninformative articles on the top things to do to better one’s mood, I found a real diamond in the rough with the Reader’s Digest article on the 20 simple ways to get happy.

Take a dog for a walk and Volunteer, were the two tips on the list that stood out to me the most. Since my roommates have banned me from ever owning a pet again after our disastrous experience with a hamster by the name of Optimus Prime, this task seemed out of the question. Then, in perfect timing, I happened upon an email looking for dog-walkers at the Houston Animal Shelter. Not only would I literally be taking a dog for a walk but I would also be volunteering, a task shown to increase all six aspects of well-being.

While this is based solely on my own personal reflections, I whole-heartedly believe volunteering and dog walking are proven mood boosters. It was a great way to put aside all of my worries and stress and focus on these animals that were dealt a bad hand. I encourage everyone to try a volunteer project such as this one and see the impact it can have on your life. 

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I feel better just reading your blog. Now for some comfort food. whoops! Okay, I'll just have Caramel Truffle tea instead. The smell will make me think I'm getting dessert and the warmth will fill my belly. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like dogs too, but I would never waste my precious time walking them. They have four legs walk themselves

    ReplyDelete